Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Insurgent- Veronica Roth



Spoilers for Divergent below!

The sequel to Divergent, Insurgent was every bit as engrossing and entertaining as its predecessor. Set in the same future world, the factions are now at war, with several of them having to choose sides throughout the book, and no clear line for many. Tris Prior, as the Divergent that stopped the hostile takeover of one of the factions, is now dealing with some serious PTSD, as well as the fallout from her choices in the previous book on her life and her relationship with Four (Tobias). Insurgent is very different from Divergent in several ways, much more about politics, secrecy, and war than a coming of age story, but even though it is different, it is still incredibly good.

I don’t know how much to go into here, because I think that if you’ve read Divergent you have an idea of what you’re in for, and I don’t want to spoil anything, but trust me, this is a good one. Roth is very good at keeping the reader engaged, with twists and turns that are occasionally predictable, but ultimately (relatively) satisfying. Unlike the other Hunger Games wannabes I’ve read in the last few years since my discovery of that book, this one is holding its own, and I have to admit that I’m impressed. Insurgent is one of the first books in awhile that I’ve been disappointed to finish, and I’m upset that I have to wait another year for the third book in the trilogy and to see where Roth goes from here!

4, but this is another one that is really close to a 5

No comments:

Post a Comment