Saturday, May 19, 2012

A Clash of Kings (A Song of Ice and Fire #2) – George RR Martin

A Clash of Kings (A Song of Ice and Fire, #2)


A Clash of Kings is the second book in the Song of Ice and Fire series by George RR Martin, and is just as excellent (and long!) as the first one. Continuing the stories and character arcs set up in the first book, Game of Thrones, this portion of the series is focused on the struggle for power between the houses of Baratheon, Lannister, and Stark, while also keeping us up to date on how things are going for Dany Targaryen, the last of the past king’s line.

I think what I like so much about these books is that aside from a few obvious examples, I have no idea who I’m rooting for. There are rarely clear heroes and villains.  The case could be made that so far the good guys are the people in House Stark, while the bad guys are the Lannisters, but there are so many twists and turns that I can’t help but put bias aside and just enjoy where the book takes me. My favorite chapters throughout the book were from a Lannister point of view, which goes completely against what I just said about who I think the villains are. And that is what makes this so enjoyable.

This one’s a solid 4, although if I keep enjoying these books so much it could retrospectively become a 5, when I buy the whole series to read again!

No comments:

Post a Comment