Monday, March 12, 2012

Ready Player One- Ernest Cline




Fast paced, well written, and very original, Ready Player One is my favorite book of the year so far. I haven’t been sucked into a book like this one in a long time… maybe since I discovered The Hunger Games. What is truly astonishing to me, is that this was my latest audiobook, and I blew through it so quickly that I was done with 13 parts all over an hour long within a week. It was an obsession. I want to purchase it and read it over and over again. Go read it now.

You’re still here? OK, how about a quick summary? Ready Player One is a book set in the not so distant future, around 2040, where society is basically run through a virtual reality/ online multiplayer game called the Oasis. People work and go to school in the Oasis, make money there, essentially live there. The best part? It’s free for anyone to use. So when the creator of the Oasis dies, leaving his billions to whatever person who finds an Easter Egg within the Oasis first, the world goes a bit crazy. Wade Watts, the protagonist and narrator, is one of the many treasure hunters looking for the egg, and we follow his journey throughout the search as he solves puzzles, plays games, and sifts through millions of 1980s references (the creator’s obsession), all the while trying to stay clear of the sixers, the villains of the story, who are desperate to win control of the Oasis and monetize it.

This book was unbelievable. I loved it so much. Even without knowing and catching on to a lot of the 80s references, I was along for the ride the entire time and completely engrossed.

5- you have to read this. Go right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment