Friday, March 30, 2012

Moonwalking with Einstein- Joshua Foer



Moonwalking with Einstein was yet another venture outside of my comfort zone. A book about memory, more of a memoir than a self-help book, Moonwalking with Einstein takes the reader (listener in my case) through Josh Foer’s journey from regular guy who can’t remember where his keys are to US Memory Champion.

I have to admit, this was much better than I was expecting. It’s been on my radar awhile, after being a best seller on both Amazon and NY Times. Before I impulse downloaded it to listen to, I thought there would be no way I’d ever pay attention to a book about memory tricks. But it’s so much more than that.

I can’t believe how interesting it was to hear about Foer’s training and tricks. The information unearthed through his studies of and with the various experts in the field was captivating. It’s remarkable what the human brain can do. Even now, I can remember the various list of random nonsense that was the one example Foer walks you through how to remember (pickled garlic, cottage cheese, peat smoked salmon, six bottles of white wine, three pairs of socks, three hula hoops, scuba diving gear, dry ice machine, email Sofia, skin colored cat suit). Are you kidding? That’s nonsense that I memorized and I listened to that part of the book a week and a half ago. Incredibly impressive.

I gave this a 3 based on my rating system (3 = liked it but won’t read it again) but this one was one that almost breaks the scale. I don’t need to read it again but I was really impressed with it. So much different (and so much better!) than I expected!

No comments:

Post a Comment