Monday, March 12, 2012

Game of Thrones- George R.R. Martin



This was the third time I’ve tried to get into Game of Thrones. The cast of characters, events, and relationships are so complex and numerous that the first two times I stalled and lost interest. But everyone has to love this series for a reason, right? This time I made my own character chart, stuck it out, and was happy that I did.

I actually think this being the third try on this book helped immensely, as I picked up things this time through that I hadn’t understood in the slightest the first two times. The charts and discussion of characters at the end? Didn’t help me at any point, which is why I made my own, which is available if anyone else needs the help. Ha.

As you can tell, Game of Thrones is a fantasy novel full to the brim of interesting characters that are all interwoven in a medieval England- type world. Most emphasized throughout the book are the Starks, Ned and Catelyn, their children Robb, Sansa, Arya, Bran, and Rickon, as well as Ned’s bastard son, Jon Snow. The book rotates perspectives between the majority of the Starks, as well as several other characters from the other families. At its core, this book is about power, and ruthless characters who will do anything to get it. I almost can’t even say any more than that, because to explain further would be to take away some of the genius of the book.

4- really liked this one, finally, although it’s definitely not for everyone. It’s long and complex and bloody. But in the end it’s pretty fantastic. I’m definitely going to keep reading the sequels!

No comments:

Post a Comment