Saturday, February 25, 2012

Divergent- Veronica Roth



Divergent is a book that’s obviously trying to capitalize on the popularity of the superior Hunger Games trilogy. But you know what? I don’t care. It was worth the read, and I’m really excited to read the next one.

Divergent is the story of Beatrice Prior, a 16 year old living in the future, dystopia version of Chicago. In this future, the human race is split into five factions, each of which values a different trait: Abnegation (selflessness), Amity (kindness), Candor (honesty), Dauntless (bravery), and Erudite (intelligence). When a teenager turns 16 they decide whether to remain with their families in the faction that they grew up in or switch to a new one based on one monumental test. Beatrice makes a difficult decision, and then is put through initiation.

This book reminds me strikingly of Ender’s Game, which is one of my favorite fantasy novels of all time. I think between the parallels of that book and the Hunger Games, I was pretty much never going to dislike this one, and I can’t wait for the sequel to come out in May to continue Beatrice’s story. The end of Divergent was non-stop action packed, and things are definitely going to be different in the sequel.

I read this one in three weeknights, which tells you something right there. The only complaint I have is that in my opinion, some of the so-called “twists” were easy to predict, and the writing is not as good as that of Orson Scott Card (Ender’s Game), or Suzanne Collins (Hunger Games). That being said, I definitely thought the plot was interesting and the writing was good enough to keep me involved. I flew through it.

Another solid 4- no serious complaints here.

No comments:

Post a Comment