Sunday, September 18, 2011

The Kite Runner- Khaled Hosseini



What is there to say about this book that hasn’t already been said? It’s an international bestseller, and I am behind the times on reading it. Very unlike me. What is like me is to shy away from a book with a subject matter like this, but I’m glad that I finally got around to this one. Despite the horrifying images in the book, the subject matter is very well written.

The Kite Runner is the story of Amir, the son of a rich man in Afghanistan, and immigrant to the United States. We follow his life as a young boy, running kites with his best friend, their servant’s son, Hassan, through his flight from Afghanistan, his life in America, and his eventual return to his home country.

This book was very upsetting but extremely good. It’s riveting, it’s stressful, and it’s moving. I only seem to be able to come up with short bursts of descriptions, which hardly do the book justice, but trust me when I say that it’s worth a read. Ultimately this was a tale of love, life, guilt, and friendship. And it absolutely forces you to think about the things you take for granted living in the United States.

In general I feel like I’m not saying enough to do justice to the book. I’m not sure anything I can say will. So let’s leave this one short and sweet: This is definitely worth a read if you’re like me and have been hesitating.

4- I’m glad I finally read this. And I’m going to read Hosseini’s next book, A Thousand Splendid Suns next. In fact, I’ve already started it.

No comments:

Post a Comment