Thursday, September 8, 2011

If You Were Here- Jen Lancaster


If You Were Here: A Novel

I’ll add my voice to the rest of Jen Lancaster’s fans discussing this book… I really wanted to like it. And to be fair, I think because I had extremely low expectations and thought it was going to be horrifyingly bad, I liked it more than most (which doesn’t say much). I agree with everyone else who says this should have been another memoir rather than a foray into fiction, but I’ll also add that for the most part, this WAS another memoir.

Mia and Mac are buying a new house, and it’s been a hellish ordeal for everyone. I made it through the first half to three quarters of this book by convincing myself that it was just a typical Jen Lancaster memoir, blatantly ignoring all references to Amish zombies, and pretending that Fletch had changed his name. And it did work for awhile. Mia and Mac sound VERY much like Jen and her husband Fletch, which I would imagine is intentional. I didn’t hate it, found it amusing enough (though nowhere near on par with her other books), and easily blew through the first half. Shortly thereafter is where she lost me.

Honestly, I can definitely understand the point of Jen wanting to try fiction: she can take her everyday life and make it even more exaggerated and ridiculous to comic effect. The problem is, the comic effect was lacking. Mia is nowhere near as funny as Jen, and Mac was downright horrible. And at no point did I recognize the writing in the second half as anywhere near as entertaining as Jen’s. Not to mention that the Amish zombies were more prevalent. I can’t say I understood why she thought that would be funny. In fact, I would say that was her biggest misfire for me. Despite thinking that it was ridiculous for her to so blatantly talk about her own life (Mia’s dog is named Daisy, Jen’s is Maisy, Mia’s best friend is Tracy, Jen’s is Stacy), I hung in there. Even as Mia’s book, Buggies are the New Black (as opposed to Bitter is the New Black) caused a massive eyeroll, I did my best to stick with it, because I felt I owed Jen the benefit of the doubt for her first fiction attempt.

If she tries it again, I’m not sure I’ll be able to overlook it. I hope very much that she goes back to memoirs.

2- didn’t like it overall. Jen should stick to being funny about her own life.

No comments:

Post a Comment