Saturday, May 19, 2012

Jeneration X- Jen Lancaster


Jeneration X: One Reluctant Adult's Attempt to Unarrest Her Arrested Development; Or, Why It's Never Too Late for Her Dumb Ass to Learn Why Froot Loops Are Not for Dinner

Jeneration X, Jen Lancaster’s latest, is a return to form after her disaster of a novel.  Nothing groundbreaking here, and in fact, I think I’ve actually read some of these stories before (on her blog? In her columns?), but I’m mostly ok with that, because I’m just so happy to be back to where we were before If You Were Here.  Let’s pretend that didn’t happen, ok?

Look, if you’ve read one of Jen’s memoirs, you know what you’re getting into with this one. My favorite remains Bright Lights, Big Ass, but I’m starting to think that it’s just because that’s the first one I read. Jen is hilarious, sarcastic, and an outstanding writer, but all of her memoirs are very similar, just with different themes to the collections of stories. Don’t get me wrong, I am absolutely not saying that’s a bad thing, because I look forward to reading her books and have read all of them (except for Pretty in Plaid) more than once. And I’m thrilled that her desire to write novels didn’t keep her from writing memoirs. I’m just saying that there’s not much for me to review here.

4- I went between a 4 and a 5 on this one. It’s entirely possible I’m going to end up buying it. Jen is funny and entertaining, and I read this in about two days, so obviously I really liked it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment