Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Daughter of Smoke and Bone- Laini Taylor


Daughter of Smoke and Bone (Daughter of Smoke and Bone, #1)

My latest audio book was one of the rare books that I’ll listen to and then want to read, feeling that instead of enjoying the book as completely as I could in audio format, the best way to have encountered  this book would have been to read it. Notable other books that have made me want to read them, even after having listened to the whole story already: Unbroken and Ready Player One. It’s in good company.

Daughter of Smoke and Bone is, at its most basic, a story about love, loss, and otherworldly creatures. Set in a human world, Karou is an art student who keeps company with both humans and the mysterious Brimstone, who has raised her from a baby, but is decidedly not human.  He is a monster, part of another world all together, and is in the midst of a raging battle, which we learn about piece by piece as the book unravels. Along with this war, we also discover the truth about Karou, her past, and her life, all of which has been a puzzle to her for the last seventeen years of her life.  

I do have to admit, this was a weird one. The Amazon description of this book barely hints at the depths at which it goes, and it expects a lot of suspension of reality. Not that it’s that difficult. In stark contrast to my last audio book, Shades of Grey, I bought into this world hook, line and sinker. This is the way it should be done.  I very much enjoyed Daughter of Smoke and Bone, and eagerly await its sequel!

4, but pretty close to a 5. I’ll have to reread this one for sure!

No comments:

Post a Comment