Saturday, May 19, 2012

Genghis: Lords of the Bow- Conn Iggulden


Lords of the Bow (Conqueror, #2)

The second book in Conn Iggulden’s series about Genghis Kahn, Lords of the Bow details the war of the Mongol tribes against the Chin Empire. Picking up where the first book left off, Genghis marches on his enemies throughout the book and begins his total domination.

I loved the first book in this series. It really impressed and surprised me, and I couldn’t believe that I was enjoying a somewhat fictionalized book about a war leader so much.  In this one, Genghis has become someone to be feared rather than someone to root for, which is probably the biggest difference between this book and the first one.  It was still fascinating, but I wasn’t as engrossed as I was with the first one, when he was more of an underdog.  I feel like Iggulden wants me to get excited about the big battles, be invested in their outcome, and root for continuing dominance, but I would much rather read about the family and the politics. Those were by far the parts of the book I like the best. 

In the end, I still found myself rooting for Genghis and enjoying the story. Probably because of how despicable his enemies are as well. Among everyone, the least deplorable person turns out to be Genghis, even if he is brutal and generally terrifying.

3- didn’t like this one as much as the first, but still an enjoyable read. I’m definitely going to keep reading the series. 

No comments:

Post a Comment