Saturday, June 30, 2012

The Appeal- John Grisham


The Appeal

When I read a cheap thriller, or a legal thriller, as this one is marketed, I expect to be entertained, ultimately pleased with the book and the plot, but know that it’s not great literature. My expectations for thrillers and chick books are the same: Entertain me. The Appeal started out well, but by the end had completely tanked, and I am not very pleased that I spent my time listening to it.

First of all, the book has too many characters and too many cases. Way too many. Most of the book centers around one case, but in a way that allows it to meander about, going through elections, political corruption, small cases that affect none of the book's events, etc. All of the characters that I cared about got very little time focused on them, and there were too many corrupt jerks to keep track of. And isn’t this called the appeal? Shouldn’t the main focus be on, I don’t know, an appeal? Not the corruption of big business and buying a supreme court seat. I mean don’t get me wrong, it was interesting enough, but not at all what I was expecting, and could have and should have been better.

Second of all, worst ending ever. WORST

Third of all, if this is how our justice system works I am concerned for the state of America. The entire thing was disheartening.

All in all, I was really unhappy with this one. The only thing that saves it from being a 1 (or a zero) is that the beginning was decent. I didn’t get disgusted with it until halfway to three quarters of the way through, but the end just ruined it so thoroughly that I can’t justify giving it anything better than a 2. Honestly this is probably a 1.5.

No comments:

Post a Comment