Saturday, June 30, 2012

I’ve Got Your Number- Sophie Kinsella


I've Got Your Number

I went back and forth several times about whether or not I would have enjoyed this book more if I was reading it instead of listening to it. I think it certainly lost some humor due to footnotes and text messages being read to me instead of reading them myself.

Possibly the bigger problem is that I was irritated with the main character though. Because that is by far my main issue with any given Sophie Kinsella book… her main characters that we are supposed to sympathize with are inherently unlikable. As with the Shopaholic books, I was constantly wondering whether it was worth it to keep reading, because I was disgusted with the main character, Poppy Wyatt, who loses her engagement ring at the beginning of the book. Then has her phone stolen, then finds another phone in a trash can, which is how she meets Sam, the owner of the phone, whose life she immediately becomes entrenched in.

The entire engagement ring debacle was horrible. The weakest part of the book, by far. But once that was resolved, about halfway through, I found that the main character was less insufferable, the problems were more realistic, and when the book focuses more on Sam and his issues, it is far more entertaining.

All in all this is a 3. I think if the whole book would’ve been like the second half it would’ve been up there with Remember Me, but as it is, this is comparable to the Shopaholic books (although I have to admit, I think I like it a little better… let’s face it, I really don’t like Becky Bloomwood and half the time don’t know why I read those books). Worth the read in the end, but difficult to get through the first part.

No comments:

Post a Comment