Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Wool- Hugh Howey


Wool is a book in its own class. Self published author Hugh Howey slowly released five parts of the same overall story onto an unsuspecting internet, and came out of it with a following. The copy I ended up with is the omnibus- all five parts in one book. So to review, I thought I’d do things a little differently, and break the book down by its stories, each with a reaction I had after finishing…

Part 1 surprised me, and was the first indication that I was in for a futuristic book like I’d never read before.

Part 2 cemented that. Bleak and upsetting, life in the silo is progressively getting stranger.

Part 3 begins with a bang, a one page chapter that I literally had to read twice to believe. This is where I really started to get engrossed in the story, the mystery, the depths that the antagonists would go to keep the secrets of the silo safe. Part 3 ends with a bang as well, and I was clambering to get to the next part.

Part 4 changes the story entirely. It's the best part yet and that says something. I have been having trouble physically tearing myself away from the book.

Part 5 was the best part of the book. I was up really late. Enough said. 

Incredible. I can't wait to read more of Hugh Howey's work. Just... Unreal. I really enjoyed Wool, and that doesn’t even begin to explain it. I had to digest this for a little while. But easily one of the best post apocalyptic books I've read. 5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment