Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Language of Flowers- Vanessa Diffenbaugh



Our March book club book was a pretty fantastic pick. Language of Flowers is a book that will stay with me for awhile. It’s told in alternating perspectives: Victoria as a foster child, and Victoria in the current day, beginning with her emancipation into the world at large, and follows her throughout her life, so the reader can see how she got where she starts the book from, to finding her way through life and its struggles.

I don’t want to say much about the plot of this book, as I really enjoyed discovering the facets of Victoria’s life without knowing what was coming. I admit that I’m somewhat of a sucker for books told this way: alternating perspectives or characters, etc, so likely that was part of my gratification with the book. The pacing of the book was perfect, giving away just enough of the mysteries of Victoria’s young life to keep you interested, but simultaneously explaining why she is the way she is in the current day. We had some conversations at our book club meeting about the way it portrays the foster system, Victoria herself, and her choices that, if possible, added to my enjoyment of the book.

Highly recommended. Go read it now. And if you’re looking for a book club pick, start with this one! 5/5.

No comments:

Post a Comment