Saturday, August 6, 2011

Unbroken- Laura Hillenbrand

Unbroken: A World War II Story of Survival, Resilience, and Redemption

As previously mentioned, Unbroken is an audiobook that I would consider out of the ordinary from ones I normally listen to. Smart, interesting, and unbelievably inspiring, Unbroken is the true story of the life of Louie Zamperini: Olympian, World War II airman, and POW. I had been on the hold list at the library waiting for Unbroken for months when I noticed it available to download from the library site I use for my audiobooks. Naturally, I checked it out as fast as I could.

I’m not sure how much of this book I should summarize, it seems like me going in with middle of the road expectations worked out well. All I knew going in was that it was a biography about a World War II veteran. In general I usually read fiction, and don’t stray away from that very often, only making exceptions for books getting a ton of buzz (like this one), or funny memoirs. I am so happy that this book got the attention that it got so I could break my string of crappy fiction, even if it was in audio book form.

I honestly can’t believe that all the events of this book happened to one man. It is truly astounding. Hearing about the things that Louie has done (and survived) was so intense and moving that I think the best thing to do to review it is simply to tell you that you HAVE to read this.

Long story short, I am so impressed with this biography that I am considering buying it in order to actually sit down and read, not just listen to. This was one of the few audiobooks that I was genuinely hooked on, listening to while I cooked, cleaned, even while I was just hanging around. In addition, I want to read more of the author’s work, which was so captivating that I forgot how boring I usually find nonfiction. I am really awed by both Louie’s life and the way it is conveyed.

5- you have to read this one. Have to.

No comments:

Post a Comment