Friday, August 19, 2011

Look Again- Lisa Scottoline

Look Again

My latest audiobook is Look Again, by Lisa Scottoline. Scottoline is an author that has been on my radar for a while now, what I’ve seen from her is a lot like a female (early) James Patterson: interesting plots, believable characters, and a good mix of thriller and novel. So far I have read or listened to three of her books, and Look Again has by far been my favorite.

Look Again, similar to The Face on the Milk Carton, but from the mother’s point of view, begins with Ellen Gleeson, single mother of an adopted son, Will, seeing an image identical to Will on a “Have You Seen This Child” card. She is understandably disconcerted by this, and the book follows her investigation of the missing child and anguish over whether or not Will is hers.

In my opinion, you can tell you’re enjoying a book by one of two things happening: 1) you catch yourself thinking about the characters or events of the book when you’re not reading about it, or 2) you get increasingly invested in the story, fired up with unpleasant or frustrating events, excited or gleeful with good ones, essentially feeling as if you are living through the events of the book with the characters. A notable example of this happening to me is during the events of the fifth Harry Potter book with Professor Umbrage. It happened again in this one. Near the end I was so invested in Ellen and Will’s plight that I was actively angry, stressed, and delighted listening to the book.

This was a good one. I’m officially intrigued by Lisa Scottoline and will definitely be reading more of her books. Undeniable 4.

No comments:

Post a Comment