Tuesday, April 26, 2011

The Girl Who Fell from the Sky- Heidi Durrow


I don’t know what I was expecting when I picked up The Girl Who Fell from the Sky by Heidi Durrow from the library. It certainly wasn’t what I got. There are lots of reviews that call this a look at multiculturalism and growing up biracial in a black area. That’s even what the focus is on the book jacket. But what struck me more about it was just the simple story about the difficulties of growing up in an impossible situation. I don’t know how to explain it without giving away the premise of the entire book, but suffice it to say that Rachel, the girl in the title, has more than enough to deal with, and to throw the trials that she faces because of her race gives her even more to overcome. 

Overall, this was an interesting read. Obviously being white and growing up in a predominantly white area makes it nearly impossible to understand half of the problems that Rachel encounters, however I think anyone can identify with the difficulties she faces in being a teenager recovering from a tragic event, and feeling alone.  A worthwhile read, but not something I’ll need to read again. It was very bleak and there are not a lot of moments that make you feel as though the “survivor” is going to survive the rest of her life.

3- I understand the importance that some reviewers are giving this book, but I would have enjoyed a more in depth look at how Rachel dealt with things related to the tragedy that happened in her life.  I never really connected with her or any of the characters, and the way that the story was told, jumping from perspective to perspective in a confusing, non-chronological way made it difficult to get into.

Next Up:  Ape House by Sara Gruen, a book I’m surprised I haven’t already read, as her Water for Elephants is one of my favorite books of all time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment