Thursday, April 21, 2011

Bossypants- Tina Fey




Continuing to kick things off is the hilarious book Bossypants, by my new favorite person ever, Tina Fey.  The sample chapter alone had me nearly crying. Seriously, get on Amazon right now and read it and try not to die laughing.  The stories had me consistently laughing out loud, and identifying with her in a way that you wouldn't think a conservative engineer could with a liberal comedy writer.  Maybe it’s because Tina Fey is a fellow nerd, or maybe simply because the entire book is so full of sarcasm and my own kind of humor. Regardless, I couldn’t help but love it.  I could barely put it down. The stories she tells about growing up, SNL, 30 Rock, and family life with her daughter and husband are all so funny that it makes me want to be her best friend. 

I suppose I should add one caveat though, and that is that I loved Tina Fey and her work already. Even before reading her book I was a big fan, and in fact had preordered the book weeks in advance because I knew that I would love it. I'm her target audience. The amount of times I’ve seen Mean Girls alone should be concerning to most reasonable people. I knew from the beginning that there was no way I wasn’t going to like it.  In fact, I put aside the other book that I was in the middle of in order to read it. I think the biggest win here for me is that I wasn’t disappointed at all.  It was 277 pages of awesome. But if you don’t like her style of humor and writing, you’re probably not going to like her book either.

5- of course. 

Next up: Returning to The Girl Who Fell From the Sky by Heidi Durrow, which had the unfortunate luck to be put aside when I got Bossypants.

2 comments:

  1. I couldn't agree more! Is it too soon to hope she writes a follow up?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This post makes me want to buy this book!

    You go Glen Co Co!!

    ReplyDelete