Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Middlesex- Jeffrey Eugenides



Middlesex is a book told from the point of view of a transgendered man (formerly woman) that brings the reader on a journey. Documenting every step in lives that lead to him, from grandparents and onward, Cal tells us how he was made, and how he became that way. Incest, broken engagements, sexual confusion, and multiple distressing doctors appointments lead the reader to the man he is today.

Initially I decided I wanted to read this book (technially I listened to it via audiobook) based only on the author. Jeffrey Eugenides wrote The Marriage Plot, which I enjoyed back in January, and Middlesex is his first novel, written to great acclaim. I don’t really think I knew what I was getting myself into. On the one hand, the writing style was excellent, with the narrator speaking as if he was directing a movie, showing instead of telling the story of his life and his ancestors. On the other, portions of the book were alternately discomforting and boring. Not to mention the parts that were so explicit that I felt that I needed to turn it off. I was very uncomfortable for probably half of the book, but I also think that’s sort of the point.

In the end I’m giving it a 3, if only for Eugenides’ writing. He truly is fantastic, even if the subject matter was not exactly something I want to read at length about.

No comments:

Post a Comment