Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Thanks for the Memories- Cecelia Ahern

Thanks for the Memories

Another pretty typical chick book, Thanks for the Memories is a story of boy meets girl with a twist, which is what most of the books I’ve read from Ahern have been since I read and loved P.S. I Love You. I think I ruined Ahern’s chances of ever writing another book I was going to love by reading that one first.  All of the rest have been merely ok in comparison.  This one is no different. 

The story starts with a pretty disturbing accident and miscarriage for the main character, Joyce. After this event, the book flashes back to a month previous when Justin Hitchcock is donating blood. Spolier alert, Joyce ends up with Justin’s blood, and this leads to some pretty surreal experiences in her life. Suddenly she can speak languages fluently, knows an absurd amount about architecture and art, and other events occur that are obvious to the reader both through Ahern’s writing and common sense that they are shared experiences and hobbies from Justin.

This was a really cute book. But like I said, I think I’m ruined for Cecelia Ahern’s books unless she comes up with something past cute, a la P.S. I Love You. So another good, not great book.  One that I liked and found entertaining but won’t be reading again.  3. 

No comments:

Post a Comment