Saturday, January 28, 2012

A Million Little Pieces- James Frey




Anybody who hasn’t heard of this book has probably been living under a rock. I’ve been avoiding it the past few years because of the controversy around it (marketed as a memoir, embellished to the point that it’s not), but after a lot of discussion with a few of my friends, I finally decided it was time to read it.

And I have to say, I’m glad I did. A Million Little Pieces is a pretty unique book. The writing style is weird but intriguing, most of it is plausible enough to have been true, and it’s an incredibly blunt, somewhat amazing look at a 23 year old man going through withdrawal and rehab.

I don’t know what I can say that hasn’t already been said. When I finished I went immediately on the internet to look up what was true and what wasn’t, the infamous Oprah interview with the author, and general reaction. I would think that’s a pretty reasonable reaction. But even putting aside the things in the book that weren’t true, this is an incredible account of life within a rehab center, and it was worth the read.

4- I can see myself reading this again, and I liked the style enough that I want to check out the next book from Frey- My Friend Leonard.

No comments:

Post a Comment