Thursday, December 29, 2011

Then Came You- Jennifer Weiner

Then Came You

Then Came You is the story of four different women wrapped around the life of one child. A child that is not born for most of the book, but is present nonetheless. The women are: Jules, the egg donor, Annie, the surrogate mother, India, the aging mother, whose motives for wanting a child may be tied to her reputation as a gold digger, and Bettina, her stepdaughter. I think based on those descriptions alone, you should be able to figure out how things progress throughout the book.

Written in the same style as Maine, where each character narrates a chapter, Then Came You is an entertaining, if not enthralling book. I think I’ve come to expect as much from Jennifer Weiner. This is disappointing in many ways, not least of which is that the first book I read by her, Good in Bed, is one of my all time favorites. But I think since Certain Girls, the sequel to Good in Bed, was published (which I will freely admit that I hated, and which tarnished Weiner’s writing and judgment in my eyes) I have completely different expectations for her books.

This book was good, not great. Better than Certain Girls and Best Friends Forever, on par with Fly Away Home, and not as good as the pre-Certain Girls books (Good in Bed, Little Earthquakes, In Her Shoes, etc). Definitely a good beach read, and what you’d expect for the type of book that it is.

It’s somewhere between a 3 and a 4 for me. Again, good, not great.

No comments:

Post a Comment