Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? (and other concerns)- Mindy Kaling

Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? (And Other Concerns)

I have to admit that I was hooked on this one from the title. I mean come on, who reads that title and doesn’t a) at least smirk in appreciation, and b) realize that this is something that they’ve thought at least once in life. I suppose the second point is one that should only be applied to girls.

In the vein of Bossypants and Seriously… I’m Kidding, Is Everyone Hanging out Without Me? Was another celebrity memoir that I was never not going to like. The early Office episodes that Mindy Kaling wrote are some of my favorites, and Kelly Kapoor remains one of the funniest parts of the mediocre later seasons. What I didn’t expect was to identify with it quite so much. Through her stories of childhood, struggles in New York, and life as an Office writer in Los Angeles, I found that I was nodding or laughing along with some of her better made points. For example- the chapter about never having a one night stand chiefly because she is significantly concerned about personal safety. I mean really, the point that you are either inviting in or accepting an invitation from a person you know literally nothing about is a legitimate one.

Aside from these observations about obviously important things in life, I enjoyed the book because a lot of it was written in list form. Another highlight was the “11 Favorite Moments in Comedy” chapter, which, spoiler alert, is topped by Will Ferrell crying about his punted dog Baxter in Anchorman, a personal favorite.

I’m not sure how you read this and not at least enjoy it a little bit. Personally I have it somewhere in between a 4 and a 5. It’s not quite to the Bossypants level, but this is a point Mindy Kaling makes herself very early on, and that in itself makes the book even more endearing.

No comments:

Post a Comment