Thursday, November 10, 2011

Seriously... I'm Kidding- Ellen DeGeneres

Seriously... I'm Kidding

This is another book that I enjoyed a lot, most likely because I like the author. I have read Ellen’s other books and found them pretty funny, so when I heard that she had written a third, I put it on hold immediately. Obviously (as usual) it came in at the same time as two other books, however, I was so excited to read it, it was the first one that I started.

I wasn’t disappointed. What I like the best about Ellen DeGeneres is that she’s funny without being mean spirited. This book was full of funny stories, but also some good advice and stories from her life in general that the previous two books didn’t have. For example (and this is a lengthy quote, but I liked it so much that I wrote it down!):

“All I’m saying is I don’t see the sense in comparing ourselves to other people all the time. It’s not being better than anyone else or having nicer things… I personally like being unique. I like being my own person with my own style and my own opinions and my own toothbrush. I think it’s so much better to stand out in some way and set yourself apart from the masses. It would be so boring to look out into the world and see hundreds of people who look and think exactly like me… And who’s to say what’s better or worse anyway? Who’s to even say what’s normal or average? We’re all different people and we’re allowed to be different from one another. If someone ever says you’re weird, say thank you. And then curtsy. No, don’t curtsy. That might be too weird. Bow. And tip your imaginary hat. That’ll show them.”

I mean how do you not love that? Funny, and genuinely good advice (maybe not the bowing though). She’s great. A solid 4.

No comments:

Post a Comment