Thursday, November 17, 2011

Die Trying- Lee Child

Die Trying (Jack Reacher, #2)

Jack Reacher, a character that Lee Child has written about at length, is entertaining at the very least. The first book in the series, Killing Floor, is a quick read I seem to remember flying through sometime last year. So when I noticed the second one listed as available on the audiobook website I use, I grabbed it. Overall, I liked it, but I’ve got mixed feelings.

Reacher is minding his own business when he gets wrapped up in (that is, gets taken as well) a kidnapping of a federal agent. As we find out while the story progresses, she is no ordinary FBI agent, and this is no ordinary kidnapping. What follows is an intricate, atypical, but enjoyable thriller.

I think my biggest problem was with the man reading the book. After listening to so many of these over the years, I definitely have preferences on the way the book is performed, and this one tanked. Essentially, the man reading this book insisted on doing the main woman character’s voice, and not well. It was distracting, and eventually I was turning it off in favor of something different. So I don’t think I can give this book a fair review. The story was good, if a little overly detailed.

I initially gave this a 2 on Goodreads, but now that I’m thinking about it, I don’t think that’s fair. I think my disinterest in listening to the story was based more on the audiobook format than anything else, and even that doesn’t keep me from wanting to read more in the series. So I’m switching to a 3. I just think I’ll stay away from the audio portion from now on.

No comments:

Post a Comment