Saturday, July 30, 2011

10th Anniversary- James Patterson



I’ve really dropped the ball here lately haven’t I? Well, I'm back on track and will be devoting some time this weekend to catching up on writing posts.  I've been reading, just not writing about it.  So here’s to turning over a new leaf, and watch for some new posts this week! I wish I could start with a book that I wasn’t completely disappointed with.

Which leads me to 10th Anniversary. You may recall from my favorite thrillers post that the first book in this series, 1st to Die, is one of my all time favorites. I think it’s for that reason, and that reason alone, that I've stuck with this series. At one point I could tell you that I have enjoyed the character progression of the four main women in this series, but now that we’ve arrived at the 10th book, Lindsay Boxer seems like a pale shadow of herself.

This book was… fine. I mean, it was a passable thriller, but not anywhere near one of the best ones I’ve read, and nothing close to the caliber of the first four books in this series. James Patterson has really disappointed me with this one. The plotline was not even all that exciting, revolving mostly around a court case rather than the serial killer on the loose, and even the secondary plot that is more typical of a Patterson thriller was pretty bad. Usually I burn through books like these in about a day, this one took me three on a vacation with unlimited reading time. I’m not saying it was terrible, but it was just so disappointing. How far the Women’s Murder Club has fallen. It’s sad, really.

2- I didn't care for this particular book, but I'm ok having read it because I know if I hadn't I would wonder about it.  I'll most likely keep reading these books, I like Lindsay and the rest of the group enough to want to know what Patterson ends up doing with all of them, but maybe next time I won’t be in so much of a hurry.

1 comment:

  1. I really liked this book, though by the way it ended it makes me think that this may be the last book in the series. I am a huge fan of this series and this book didn't disappoint me.

    ReplyDelete