Friday, March 1, 2013

The Pillars of the Earth- Ken Follett


It’s been almost four months since I finished the last available Song of Ice and Fire book, and I have to admit that I have been feeling the absence. Pillars of the Earth, while not completely replacing my interest in getting another book about the people of Westros as soon as humanly possible, definitely has given me a new author to enjoy while I wait. 

Similar to the Song of Ice and Fire series, Pillars of the Earth is told through multiple viewpoints of various characters affected by events that affect the national landscape, as well as in smaller, more personal ways. Spanning nearly forty years in England, where battles between the church and the crown are commonplace, we meet Tom, Ellen, Phillip, Aliena, Jack, William, and a host of other characters, from immediately likable to downright vile. We witness the trials and tribulations of building a cathedral, weathering politics driven by corrupt people, and war.

What struck me the most about this book is how well the characters are written. As opposed to the Martin series, Follett’s Pillars of the Earth has clear protagonists and antagonists, to the point that I’m not sure I’ve been so infuriated by characters and their actions against other, inherently good characters in a long time. At the same time, the protagonists are still imperfect, and you root for them despite their flaws. It’s fantastic writing.

This is definitely a 5. It took me almost a month to read, but it was totally worth it, and don’t let the length deter you, 700+ pages still doesn’t seem like enough. I’ll definitely be reading some of Ken Follett’s other offerings while I wait for George RR Martin to finish The Winds of Winter.

No comments:

Post a Comment