Saturday, January 26, 2013

The End of Your Life Book Club- Will Schwalbe



As expected, I cried in a quiet, tears running down your face way through pretty much the last few chapters of this book. With a title like that you have to expect it. I knew what I was getting myself into. But I am happy that I read this book.

Mary Anne Schwalbe has pancreatic cancer. The book is very clear from the beginning that her prognosis is not optimistic. But that is not what this book is about. This book is about a mother and a son, the books they read together, and the way to live a happy and fulfilling life. 

I was pretty afraid to read this, honestly, and especially during January. Trying to read Jonathan Franzen's Freedom and being so depressed I had to stop about 10% in comes to mind. But Schwalbe's book isn't so much about dying as it is about living. I am really impressed with both the writing and the way he told his mother's story. It's clear that she was an incredible woman. 

I don't know what to say. This book was fantastic, despite the tearful ending. 4. 

No comments:

Post a Comment