Sunday, October 23, 2011

Me Talk Pretty One Day- David Sedaris



I think I’ve probably been reading this book over the course of the last several months. It’s actually kind of perfect for that, as it’s lots of short essays that can easily be put aside when a new novel comes in from the library. I can’t decide how I felt about this one though. It was a lot of hit or miss.

I’m pretty sure that I read one of David Sedaris’ books in college, and the fact that I can’t remember for sure probably says something about how I feel about his writing. Not that I don’t like it, but that then (and now) I didn’t find it very memorable, and the fact that I don’t feel the need to immediately search out his other books is also pretty telling. The bottom line is, some of the stories told in this collection were hilarious, and some of them I ended up skimming through because I was tired of them. And in this book there was more skimming than laughing.

I think also part of the problem is that I really WANTED to like this book. I had high expectations. Usually books like these are right up my alley (see: the review for Bossypants) and I am very excited to start the next one on my to-read list, Ellen DeGeneres’ new book, but in this case, a lot of the stories didn’t really land. I had a few laugh out loud moments, but I am ready to move on.

Hence, the three rating, and the fact that I don’t have a lot to say. This was worth the read, and enough of it was funny that I’m not annoyed about the time spent reading it, however, I don’t think I’ll be returning to Sedaris’ books for a little while.

No comments:

Post a Comment