Friday, June 10, 2011

Dead Reckoning- Charlaine Harris



I sat here and stared at a blank word document while trying to think of something semi-intelligent to say about this book. I mean, what do you really say about the 11th book in a wildly popular series about telepathic waitress Sookie Stackhouse and her multiple dealings with fantastical beings like fairies, vampires, and werewolves? I guess all I can really say is that after 11 books I got what I was expecting: entertainment with a side of a relatively good mystery.

The Sookie Stackhouse books are the source material for the HBO series True Blood, which should also clue you into what you’re getting. In almost every book Sookie finds herself in life threatening situations, mostly due to her involvement with a vampire, and this one is no different.

Dead Reckoning begins with a bombing at the bar where Sookie works. But that’s not really the basis of the story, as we find out who was behind that relatively quickly, and it shouldn’t be a surprise to any regular reader of the series. The real conflict is semi-political, a power struggle between two vampires that hate each other, make life difficult for each other, and plot each other’s deaths consistently throughout the book. And surprise, surprise, Sookie ends up in the middle of it.

3- Again, what can I say? This book is fairly mindless entertainment, a fun read for a fantasy/mystery/thriller reader. I liked it, but like most series that have gone on this long, it’s a solid three. I’m still reading the series because I like them, I’m invested in the characters, and they’re fun, but I’m not feeling any strong need to read them again.

Next up- another Amazon recommendation, A Visit from the Goon Squad, by Jennifer Egan

No comments:

Post a Comment