Thursday, May 19, 2011

Favorites- Chick Lit

Continuing on with some of my favorites in each genre, I thought I'd tackle chick lit next. Despite none of it really being pulitzer prize material, I think anyone can appreciate the value of these kinds of books. There's nothing like a good beach read when that's what you want and what you're expecting. In general, it's funny, has a heroine easily identified with, and always ends with everyone happy, or at least close. Following (in no particular order) are my favorites:

1. 


Good in Bed, by Jennifer Weiner- I think this might be the first book I ever read that could be classified as chick lit. Cannie is an overweight reporter who has just broken up with a boyfriend, when she sees a column in a women's magazine written by him. Mortifyingly, the main focus is on "the courage to love a larger woman," and details their relationship in excruciating detail. The book follows Cannie as she works to get over this embarrassment and on with her life, and all the hilarity along the way. After reading this book, Jennifer Weiner rapidly became one of my favorite authors. She has disappointed me a few times with her last few books, in particular the sequel to this one, however, Good in Bed will always be one of my favorites. I cannot stress enough how funny this book is.

2.

 
Something Borrowed, by Emily Giffin- The morals behind this book are questionable, however, that is the draw in all of Emily Giffin's writing. She takes situations and women that are inherantly unlikable: a spoiled and selfish single woman, a woman who is in a relationship with a married man, a married woman considering cheating on her husband, and in this case, a woman in love with her best friend's fiancee, and makes them seem likable and human, though flawed. I honestly don't know how she did it, but I didn't hate the main character in this book, Rachel, who at the very beginning of the novel sleeps with her best friend's fiancee. She made her relatable, even with the situation as dire and reprehensible as it is, and by the end you are somehow rooting for her. I still remember the first time I read this book, it was one that I finished late at night after putting it down to attempt to go to bed. But I HAD to know what happened, and that in itself says something significant for Emily Giffin's writing. And can we all agree to just not even address the movie? I think among everyone I've talked to about it, whether you've liked, hated, or loved it, we can all admit that it wasn't comparable to the book.

3.

 
Bright Lights, Big Ass: a Self Indulgent, Ex-Sorority Girl's Guide to Why it Often Sucks in the City, or Who are These Idiots and Why Do They All Live Next Door to Me? by Jen Lancaster- I was debating whether or not to do a favorites post about memoirs, and where this book would fall, as it's somewhere in between chick lit and a memoir, but in the end, I decided that this was the best place for it. Jen Lancaster is hilarious. Sarcastic, foul mouthed, and extroverted, this book covers Jen's life in the city: her neighbors, her favorite stores, her pets, her husband, etc. This book is essentially a collection of hilarious stories about life. And I loved every minute of it. I also feel like I can roll another few books into this general category, and those are Chelsea Chelsea Bang Bang, which amounts to the same kind of thing, and of course, Bossypants, which has already been covered.

4.

 
PS, I Love You, by Cecelia Ahern- Before Hilary Swank ruined the character of Holly, she was a sweet, sympathetic young widow working through her life after the death of her husband. Holly is suddenly alone when her husband Gerry dies of a brain tumor. Imagine her surprise when each month she receives a note and occasional gift from said departed husband. I've recommended this book before, to mixed reviews. It's sad, yes, but I think in the end the redeeming story and humorous incidents that occur both in past recollections of Gerry and as a result of the letters make it an entirely enjoyable read. I can distinctly remember being looked at like a crazy person when I was reading this in the dentist waiting room and laughing out loud.

5.

 
Rachel's Holiday, by Marian Keyes- Marian Keyes' books always have a little bit of a dark side to them. In this case, Rachel is a drug addict sent to rehab. The story of her time in rehab is intertwined with flashbacks of her life before and while on drugs, making for a captivating read. From Rachel's perspective, you're never sure how much of what she's saying is true, or what has actually transpired, and in general whether or not things have happened the way she says they do.  Marian Keyes' writing is believable enough to place you in the rehab center with her. The book isn't all bleak though, otherwise why would it be included in the chick lit section? Despite the dark subject matter, we get a redeeming ending (spoiler alert! in case you didn't already see that coming) and quite a few entertaining and funny moments. This is the second in Keyes' Walsh sisters series, and some of the best parts come from the interactions Rachel has with her family. Which is all the more reason to read the other ones!

Honorable mentions: Can You Keep a Secret, by Sophie Kinsella, Last Night at Chateau Marmont, by Lauren Weisberger, and, let's be honest, most of the other books by the authors mentioned above.

No comments:

Post a Comment